D. PerrymanBirkman Mehtod is not primarily a behavioral assessment.It is a measure of mindsets that drive a person forward a pattern of behavor.The questionnaire emphasizes “see,” so it is all about preception.The Leadership Mindset Cycle
Usual – your perception of your natural, comfortable self interacting with the world.
- How we learned it – Practice, Approval, Reinforcement
- Why we learned it – Competence, Relatedness, Autonomy
Needs – Your perceptions of the way others are most of the time
- What we believe – Science, Experience, Faith
- Why we believe – Nature, Nurture, Hope
- Positive (usual 99, needs 20) – I see myself as being more social than others, but that’s ok becaue I can control my calendar.
- Negative (usual 20, needs 99) – I see myself as being less social than others, but I want to be invited, even if I don’t attend.
Fixed mindset language
- You are…
- You will…
- You need…
Growth mindset language
- You see yourself as…
- You anticipate…
- You’re prepared for…
Amanda – Physical energy (49/20)
- Normally we’d say that she is less active than other people
- Perception – “I’m responsive more often than other people are.”
Marie – Physical energy (99/97)
- Perception – “I think I have a high sense of urgency, just like everyone else”